Thursday, July 24, 2014

Greenwich 1 Mile Swim 7-19-2014

Swam the one mile Greenwich race.  It was good to be back in the sound water, very refreshing, not cold.

We started in the water waist deep, which meant I had a good start.  We swam out stratight to a buouy, then cranked left and headed toward another buoy.  Once we circled that buoy, we swam back parrellel to the beach past three or four buoys, then turned right around the last one and headed back to a buoy in the middle near the beach.  once we passed that one, we turned right back into the beach, and then hitting shallow water, ran up onto the beach and through the finish gate.  I swam straight sighting ever third stroke.    I did not veer off line nor did I have any but brief collisions with other swimmers

The only sighting problem I had was coming around the last parallel buoy, and heading toward the start.  My goggles were fogged a bit and I couldn’t see the beach buoy, so I had to do a little breast stroke to sight better.

I crossed the finish in 32:10, which seemed long, but was quickly informed I needed to deduct 10 minutes since i started in the third wave, so my actual time was 22:10, placing me 70th out of 181. 6 out of 14 in my age group.  I was also 6 out of 37 in wet suits swimmers.

 It had to have been shorter than a mile to have a time like that.  The wet suit was great.  I wasn’t tired at all.  I actually beat my friend Paul, who I drove down with.  He normally is much faster than me, but I think my having the wet suit helped.  Overall, I am swimming much faster than in previous years, thanks no doubt to all the masters swimming.

Results