Sunday, June 29, 2014

Wilton Summer Sizzler Swim Meet 6-29-2014

Swam in a long course meet for the first time.  Long course is a 50 meter pool.  I was a bit beat from the Spartan race and it showed in my first race -- the 100 meter free.  The thing with a 50 meter pool is that it seems to go on forever and makes pacing hard.  I choose not to do a flip turn in the unfamiliar pool, and then I ran out of speed on the homestretch, particularly with my kick, hich I need to work on.  I finished in 1:19:74, which is outside the qualifying time for the Worlds.  I know I go faster.

The second race was the 50 free.  Again, it was hard to judge where I was along the ay.  I choose to breath every four rather than every six just to keep myself oxygenatated.  Did not know where to put on the sprint.  Finished in 33:15, which was well under the world qualifying mark of 34.  I liked not having to do a flip turn.

The last race was the 200 free, which I had never swum in a race before.  I was in a slow division and went easy, picking up the pace toward the end.  It was nice to be racing, but not killingmyself with every stroke.  I finished in 3:16, and again chose not to do any flip turns.

I will need to swim in the Goodwin Park 50 meter pool a few times before I go to Montreal to get a better feel for the pacing.

Overall, a beautiful fun day to be swimming.