Saturday, July 07, 2012

Black Fly International Triathlon 7-07-2012

Results

Went up with the family for the weekend of races.  I was thinking about doing all three events, but not quite feeling back to normal, I opted for just the International race.  I admit I was greatly dreading the bike course, not the first downhill part, but the 10 mile uphill at the end.  While this year, I did not have the blissful ignorance of the course, I did have an earlier starting time which is key in the time trial format so instead of going off last, I went off reasonably early.

The swim went fine.  I did not use a wet suit.  The water was initially cold, but I soon adjusted to it.



 My T-1 transition was very slow.  I couldn't get my tri shirt on.  I must buy a racing belt, so I can swim with the tri top.  It took me forever to get the shirt down on my wet body.  I ended up taking more time then to dry my feet and put my sox on, as well as bike gloves.

I took it easy on the bike downhill, wanting to conserve energy.  I never went into the drops, coasted a lot, and only briefly used my big third gear.  The ride back was a bit grueling, but not as bad as I remembered it.  I only used the low gear twice.

 

I was better in transition 2, and then ran at my usual slow but still running pace.  I tried to take time to enjoy the scenery.





As soon as you cross the finish line, they hand you a driping ice cold wet towel to drap around your neck.  It is better than any medal.

I ended up a little slower than last year, but almost all of that was due to the T1 time.  I was thirty seconds slower in the swim, my bike was a minute faster and my run was the same time.

Next year, I hope to do all three events -- time trial, international and short course.


Notes on climb: 1278 foot climb, 2555 elevation change.