Sunday, March 18, 2012

O'Hartford 5K (PR) 3-18-2012

Set a new 5K PR at the O'Hartford 5K. 26:58 8:41 Pace
523/1045 Men
44/157 Clydsdale
764 of 2567

Results

I beat my old time of 27:27.

It started off chilly so I wore my underarmour and hoodie to the race, but it soon warmed up so by race time I was in shorts and dri-release T with wool hat, which I soon had in hand as I ran. It was a bit crowded at first. I marveled at all the walkers and mother running with small children who someone started near the front. My first mile pace was 8:23, which was about where I wanted it. I was shooting for 8:30. I felt if I went out strong, I could hold on, easier than going out slow and having to crank it up.

At a mile and a half i caught up with two friends of mine who I new were faster than be by a enough that they would easily break my record, so I back off a little, not wanting to wear myself completely out. At mile two I was there in 17:20. I kept saying if I keep the pace and get the PR, i won't have to run again in a 5k in three weeks (my backup PR race). The last mile had a long slow uphill by the capitol that seemed to go on forever, but I kept my legs moving, and then we turned down hill toward Bushnell Park, down through the arch, and then there was the finish on Pearl Street, much sooner than I thought it would be. I thought the finish was on Trumbull. So I put on the sprint, saw I was going to beat my record, thought about slowing so my record wouldn't be so hard to beat the next time, but then realizing I could break 27:00, kept it going and came in at 26:58. At the finish people start to slow and raise their hands in the air and make victory signs, and I come whipping by, nearly bumping them as I saw excuse me and pass to my PR.

I coughed a biy after, but did not puke. Ate some conred beef, cabbage and rye, had to wait quite a while in the beer line, but I also got to drink Chevaughn's beer. I felt sort of hammered after that. (Chevaughn also had a great race, nearly breaking 30 minutes.)

I attribute my PR to doing strength training this winter. My legs definately feel stronger. Mentally knowing I could hold a pace from the practice tempo runs I did helped. Also, my weight is as low as it has been in thirty years. I am about 207 now. Long and lean.

I don't know if I will try another 5K this year or not. Not that I don't enjoy them or think I could do faster this year, but I have other goals to meet.

In two weeks I will likely run in the greater Hartford Quarter Marathon. I should have no problem PRing in that as I only ran it once before in a very slow time. I would like to run it in pace faster than my 10K record (a 10:08 pace), which I set in my last 10K two years ago.

I may run a 2 mile race next Saturday (it depends on my allergies, which are starting to act up.)