Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lake Terramuggus Tri # 3 6-28-2012

Did the race tonight.  Results will be available tomorrow, along with race report.  I took it easy, and managed to do the run without walking, which was my goal.  I would say I am in fair shape.

***

This season has not gone well. After a blazing start in the O’Hartford 5K, it has been one respiratory infection after the other as well as missed workouts due to work and family obligations. I missed many of my scheduled races, including the Litchfield Hills Triathlon, which was my big goal race. I finally felt strong enough to do a triathlon so I went to the Lake Terramuggus event with the simple goal of just completing it and not having to walk any on the run. As a precaution against last minute nerves, I signed up online in advance. $25.

It was a beautiful evening. I went to work early so I could get off early and get a nap in before going to the race. I left early so I wouldn’t be rushed.

I took my regular transition spot by a bench against a tree. I decided to wear my wet suit for the first time at Lake T. Normally with a 500-600 yard swim, I think the time I save with the suit will be lost with transition time of taking it off. But I wanted to have an easy swim, so I wore it. I was glad I wore it during the swim. I swam very easy and without any exhaustion. Then of course, as I came out of the water, I had to pay the price.

Often for me, coming out of the water and trying to take my suit off, I am lurching like a stroke victim. While I was able to quickly un zip, my suit and get it down by my knees that’s when the problem started. I used the step on it method, but it wasn’t working. For a race chip this year, instead of a narrow coin-like chip on the ankle bracelet, they had had a box like device, which the suit got caught on. I kept trying to step out and my balance got worse and worse until I pitched over on my left side. Timber! Laying prone in the sand with a large crowd of people watching my fall was not fun. I sat on my bottom and managed to get the suit off. By my bike, I sat down again, and took some time to get the sand off and put my socks and shoes on and have a drink.

I got my helmet on and then started running with the bike. The bike went all right, other than an early uncomfortable feeling where the chin strap was in my throat as I semi gagged. But I didn’t puke and was soon off and riding. I deliberately did not ride too fast. I never went to my big gear. I never dropped down into the drops, and I coasted most of the downhills. I passed a number of people, mainly women, who had started 5 minutes before the men. I finished in 44:00, which is good considering I wasn’t hammering.

In transition, I changed to my running shoes, had a drink and took off – not to fast. I ran the whole way. It wasn’t too painful. I was going slow, but had no pain or stiffness. I was happy to be done, and did my traditional post race swim/float in the lake.

I am hoping as long as I don’t get sick that my fitness will improve significantly in the next three months. As far as lake T, I can certainly improve on my transition times, my bike and my run.

177 of 202 overall 1:32:40

16/18 in age group

 129th in Swim 14:54

 180th in Bike 44:00

 174th in Run 33:46

 Results