Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hartford Half Marathon 10-13-2012

Identical Time as Last year to the second.

2:21:35.

And I had to put on a ferocious sprint at the end to match it.

My goal this year was to beat 2:20, then beat 2:21, then beat last year.

I decided my edge would come from running with as few breaks as possible.  I ran 9.5 before my first brief walk break, which lasted maybe 30 seconds while I stretched my legs out, and then again after ten or so, for maybe twenty seconds. 

I didn't have a wrist time pace chart so it was hard to figure how I was doing.  I knew I was right on the line.  I think I was 15 seconds ahead of pace at the halfway mark, but that was 15 seconds ahead with a tired body.

My hips hurt and I was very tight at the end.  I had to run really hard at the end to have a chance.

Glad I didn't run slower than last year, although it showed more heart than improved physical shape.

Beautiful day to run.

Chevaughn finished in 2:03.

Here are more detailed results:

Half Split 1:09:40.
Final 2:21:35

4635 out of 5946
2272 out of 2626 (men)
204 of 238 (M50-54)




Some final thoughts about the race.

1)  I started two minutes later than last year.  I think this slowed me up as there were slower runners aound me -- no one to speed my up and more to have to run around.  I hit mile one a full minute later than I did last year, so making up those 60 seconds was a major hurdle to overcome. 

2) By limiting my walk breaks to two very short ones, I did not allow my body any recovery and slowed myself down in the long run.  the tireder I was, the slower I ran.

3)  I watched the video of my finish.  While I recall sprinting fiercely, I was in fact going quite slowly.  I was so tired, i just felt like I was sprinting.

4) next year, I will try to train harder, and also concentrate on the race more, running every tangent, looking for every second advantage.