Sunday, September 16, 2012

Surftown Half Marathon Relay



Chevaughn and I did the Surftown Half Marathon as a relay down in Misquamicut, Rhode Island.  I did the first leg, which was 6.3 miles.  I have to say I was tired.  I didn't keep my own time and there was no timing mat or zone for the relays.  I ran a 10:11 pace, gaging from the 5 mile time clock, which was 51:30, plus I didn't cross the start line for a 32 seconds.  I was definately getting tired.  The run was flat, not much shade and hot for 7:30 in the morning.  I tried taking pictures during the race, but they didn't come out except for one.



Chevaughn, who ran 11 miles yesterday ran a blazing 2nd leg (6.8) miles.  While I was being passed by many runners, she was passing many.  Afterwards, they had clam chowder. There was a beer tent, but it was somewhat out of the way.  The good thing was there was also a carnival set up in the beach parking lot, so we stayed and watched Lauren and Zoey do the rises, and then went to the beach for a little bit.  The ocean was cold, but felt great as I was very sore and stiff.

While I was in no shape todayto run a half, I have to say being in a relay was a little underwhelming.  At the relay point, I had to unpin my bib, and Chevaughn had to pin it to her.  I learned later we were suppossed to be given a belt.  I already mentioned there was no time for the relay legs and after you did the exchange, the race was over for you.  No water at the exchange site and not having a bib anymore, it was like you were a spectator.

Maybe next year we can both run it as a full half marathon.

We (The Runaway Bay Runners) came in 37 out of 55 relay teams with a time of 2:09:26 with a pace of 9:53.

http://results.bazumedia.com/event/results/event/event-1881